Girl, 13, dies of ecstasy overdose hours after going to shop for Monster Munch

The family of a schoolgirl who died with an “extremely high level” of ecstasy in her body believe she was unknowingly spiked.

Kerry Williams was woken in the middle of the night to find her 13-year-old daughter Eboney Cheshire having a seizure with her eyes rolled back in her head, an inquest heard.

The teenager had been off school for several days prior to her death with cold-like symptoms and hours earlier had gone to the shop alone to buy Monster Munch crisps.

Ms Williams, 40, believes her daughter could have come into contact with the illegal substance at this point, possibly while meeting a friend despite being grounded, reports the Liverpool Echo.

The teenager had been given paracetamol for her cold and appeared to be improving, Bootle Coroner’s Court heard today.

In a statement compiled by coroner’s officer Kevin Farrell, it was said that Mrs Williams left for work on December 2, 2018, and when she returned to their home that evening in Rainhill there was a slight “verbal altercation” about the lack of tidying up at the house.

Eboney had previously gone out to buy Lucozade, Monster Munch crisps and noodles from a local convenience store.

The family went to bed, but mum-of-two Mrs Williams was later awoken by a noise and found Eboney having a seizure in her bed.

An ambulance was called and it was initially believed she was having a seizure due to her raised temperature connected with her cold-like symptoms.

At Whiston Hospital, it was established the Rainhill High School pupil’s condition was drug-induced and she sadly died.

Oliver Knaggs, the coroner’s officer in court, told how police had not identified any offenders for drugs supply crimes, as confirmed by Detective Inspector Leanne Hoban.

The inquiry has now been concluded, it was added.

Mrs Williams has previously indicated her belief her daughter must have come into contact with the drug when she went to the local shops on the evening before she died.

She has questioned whether she met a friend – or someone else – who dared or pressured her into taking the drug, or whether someone had even spiked her.

A post-mortem exam conducted by Dr Brian Rogers, a Home Office pathologist, said Eboney had a temperature of 41.2C and her mum had noted her arms were tensing and she was also sweating.

Toxicology reports revealed an “extremely high level of MDMA, or ecstasy, in a level lying above the rage of which fatalities have been reported.”

A cause of death of MDMA/ecstasy toxicity was given.

Coroner Julie Goulding said an “extensive investigation” had led to no arrests for the supply of drugs to Eboney and that the 13-year-old had taken the substance herself.

Peter Williams, the teen’s grandad, told the hearing: “I don’t agree with this,” and indicated his wish to appeal the coroner’s ruling.

Mrs Williams also spoke in court about her dissatisfaction with the police investigation, and added: “She didn’t do this to herself.”

“Who puts ecstasy into a drink?”

The mum claimed: “Her bottle was laced with drugs.”

She said: “You don’t realise how suspicious this is.”

Ms Goulding said there was no other conclusion she could reach other than a drug-related death.

In December 2019, at a press conference, Kerry described her daughter as “a very popular and bubbly character, forever making people laugh.”

The then-40-year-old added: “Eboney oozed confidence, parents have praised me for the way I raised her, because their children had got bullied and Eboney was the one who took them under her wing, and protected them.

“Nobody would really argue with Eboney as they all wanted to be her friend, she had so many good qualities, she was very clever, at the age of five or six she used to know every capital in the world, she even knew Madagascar…

“She’d have the teachers in laughter, once when aged three she used the word “procrastination,” and said, “my granddad taught me that.

“She was very bright and looking forward to her GCSEs…she wanted to be a doctor.

“It’s the not knowing what happened, not having her in the house.”